Thursday, May 24, 2007

About 'The Departed'...

This film is, in my opinion, Martin Scorsese’s finest film since Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. It’s a bloody (and I mean bloody) crime saga about loyalty and betrayal within a Boston area of ruffians and cops. The Departed is hard, unsentimental and shocking, so you better have a good stomach for it. I have a crappy stomach for digestion (for more info, read this article), but for movies like this, is not bad at all.
This is a remake of the not-so-great crime flick Infernal Affairs (which I’ve never seen). The constant levels of intrigue and tension are among The Departed's high points. The movie starts with a monologue brought by Nicholson at a time in the past (I presume is the early 80s), and after a few minutes, the scene shifts to the present. It took me a little bit of time for the setup to become clear, but once you get it, the suspense begins.
The movie concentrates on family and betrayal, and what constitute both. The lead characters are all loners, but they are linked to the world of Boston gangsters by blood ties. Each main character commits at least one betrayal, but they ultimately earn their fate... maybe except for one. Well, I am not going to mess it up by giving you more info about the story.
One of the features that I liked the most was the excellent soundtrack. Songs like Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" and Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" are used during key sequences.
Anyhow, The Departed is an intoxicating film, and since is a gangster film, there's plenty of bloodletting and profanity. It’ll have your hands over your face with one eye peeking. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw it like a month or so ago. I wasn't very impressed. It was hyped up as this can't be missed event. Ehhh. I didn't "not" like it, I'm just not awed & amazed. It was an ok movie, with a crap editing team. For the gangster genre, Good Fellas, A Bronx Tale, & (the obvious) Godfather were more worth watching. There's my 2¢ on that one :) Do with it what you will.