Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Family Painting


This artwork, painted by some famous Dominican artist of the sixties, has been at my father's house in NJ for years. It's definitely a family treasure. Back when I was little, I remember this painting having bright pink as the main color but, through the years, the colors have faded and now it kinda looks like this... or not.
Last Tuesday morning I made some espresso and walked to my father's living room to watch the news. I looked at the painting and noticed something... different on the painting... is it the light? Nope. Is it the frame? Not really. Is it the color?... yyeah.
So I ask my stepmother about it:

"Hey! By any chance, do you see something different on this painting?"
"Let's see.... Yeah. It's... it's the color. It looks brighter for some reason... I don't know what to tell you." - She said.

A few minutes later, my brother woke up and I asked him about the painting. He did notice something odd about it.
Half an hour later, I see my father passing by and asked him the same question:

"Different? I don't see anything different, sweetie." - He said with a suspicious face.

The next morning I woke up at around 7am to pick up the bus to go to NYC. I walked to the living room and I find my father with a red marker outlining (or ruining) the flowers on the painting.

"Dad! What are you doing?!" - I said surprised.
"I had to do something about it! The colors are fading away! See? It looks prettier now."

I guess now the family painting is priceless...