Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Plain Bagel and Cream Cheese

Last Saturday I woke up at around 4a to get a flight from Chicago to Miami. I show up with plenty of time to the airport… looking like a zombie. I check my luggage, pass by security zone and finally head to my designated concourse about an hour before the flight. So I decided to stop by a cafeteria to buy myself some breakfast.

So here's the scenario... There are three people behind the counter: a girl barista, a cook and a lady cashier. I was too damn sleepy to look at the menu above, but knew exactly what I wanted for breakfast. So I approach the cashier to order.

Me: 'Good morning. I would like to have a hot chocolate and a bagel with cream cheese please?'
Lady cashier: 'A... bagel with cream cheese??' – She said looking at me like I was ordering lasagna at 6am.
Me: 'Yes, please.'

She continued staring at me like I was an alien who just landed on earth.

Lady cashier: 'OK? What kind of bagel?'
Me: 'Plain.'
Lady cashier: 'Plllain?.... O-k? What flavor?'
Me: 'Pardon me?'
Lady cashier: 'What flavor of cream cheese, ma’am?!' – She repeated loosing her patience and staring at me.
Me: 'Oh! Just plain cream cheese, please….'
Lady cashier: 'Plain?!......'

[A few seconds of silence plus a stare]

Lady cashier: '….o…k? Hey chef!!! The lady here wants a PLAIN bagel with PLAIN cream cheese... and a hot chocolate.'
Cook: 'A bagel with cheese?! What the...?' – He said looking at me strange. He then proceeded with the ‘elaborate preparation’ of my meal and finished up the plate with a little pack of grape jelly.
Cook: 'Here it is ma’am.'
Me: 'Thank you. Oh! It’s okay… you can keep the jelly.'
Cook: 'You…uh... don’t want the jelly?!' – He said taking strange offense when I didn’t want jelly with my breakfast.

Apparently, he adds jelly to every breakfast, and if you say no (as I often do because that kind of jelly is the cheap, chewy and compressed kind) he gets very confused and stares in disbelief… like I just turned down a free (no strings attached) winning lottery ticket.

Me: 'Thank you.' – I said after he removed the jelly from my plate... Now THERE is a man who has a passion for his job, or at least a passion for cheap, mass produced jelly packs.

I go back to the cashier for checkout.

Cashier lady: ‘Ok! That’ll be 12 dollars.’
Me: ‘Twelve dollars!’ – That number really woke me up like I just took a big dose of caffeine.
Cashier lady: 'Yes, ma’am!'

OK, so here’s the breakdown: $5.50 for hot chocolate, $4 for a plain bagel and $2.50 for enough cream cheese to spread on it.

Now, I know that airports are expensive, but come on! And what’s so strange about ordering a plain bagel with plain cream cheese?!

4 comments:

Chris said...

Your joking!?! That's scandalous. I must say here in the UK the airports DON'T soak you for food purchases. I was waiting for my flight to London Tuesday and had a lovely glass of Shiraz for 2.95.

Unknown said...

Geeze Jamie, could you BE any cheaper?! That chef worked tirelessly slaving in front of a hot toaster to prepare you that meal with love & care. And what do you do? Humph, you spit in his face. An original flavorless bagel prepared with the finest in fromage du Philadelphia and a sweet apertif with a delicate Andean cocoa powder swirled with just a hint of vanilla sugar. $12.00 is a steal for such fine cuisine as that. And in the presence of such ambiance as "Mayor Daley Welcomes You" signage. Show some gratitude. :o)

Froggy said...

HAHAHAHA!!! I love Kimberlee's comment.
Next time just take the jelly pack. Poor guy...he probably wanted you to taste one of his finer bagels and you basically slapped him in the face with a plain one. Tsk, tsk. =-)~

Anonymous said...

Boy... the things that happen to you Jamie...