Thursday, November 15, 2007

Another ID Story...

Last night at a TGI Friday’s in NYC:

A 40 something year-old waitress: “Hello! Good evening and welcome to TGI Friday’s! What would you like to drink?
Me: “Good evening! May I have a Bass, please?”
Waitress: “Okay. May I see your ID?”

I pick up my ID with confidence and hand it to her. She grabs the card and scans through it very quickly. She hands it back to me and all of a sudden her smile turns into this serious face:

Waitress: “Lady… How old are you?”
Me: “Uh… old?”
Waitress: “Ma’am! I am sorry but I won’t be able to serve you alcohol! You’re under aged.”
Me: “Excuse me?”
Waitress: “You heard! You were born in 1989, meaning you’re too young to drink alcohol!”
Me: “Hehe. Didn’t you see my ID right now?”
Waitress: “Yes. I saw it! And it’s illegal for you to drink alcohol.”
Me: “Um, here it is again” – I said while passing her the ID a second time.

She looks at it for a few seconds and her mouth opens. She gave me back the card slowly and said:

Waitress: “Oh... Oh! I am so sorry ma’am! I thought I saw 1989 but it says 1979… I’m so embarrassed.”
Me: “Haha! Don’t be… it’s okay. You actually made my night.”
Waitress: “I’ll bring you the Bass right now.”
Me: “Thanks!”

For the rest of night at the restaurant, every time she looked at me, she laughed… and I laughed back.

The things that happen to me. I tell ya…

No comments: