Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Fun Read


I just finished reading a couple of days ago The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. This book is a guaranteed fun read but not meant to be a work of literature. I am not a fan of chick lit but somehow I was drawn to this little book at a small bookstand.

Samantha, the main character, is a smart and successful corporate attorney who works very hard to become a partner at the law firm. She dedicates so much time to work and no time for herself that people around her consider her a workaholic. Yes, everything in her life is exaggerated: her family blows off her birthday, she doesn’t know what a vacuum cleaner bag is, her boss moves to the same apartment building were she lives, and she works all the time… literally. I don’t think the plot being implausible is a problem; that's actually what makes it so funny.

Then eventually she makes a major mistake. She freaks out and takes a train to the countryside. Later somehow, someway she becomes a housekeeper to a rich couple. Her lack of skill at general household tasks is absolutely hilarious! And the rest of the story I won’t tell you.

But in essence, I really enjoyed this very light and entertaining story with a bit of the unbelievable. It has a great mix of humor, romance, friendships, trials and troubles. I especially enjoyed the book because I identify myself with Samantha since I live a similar life. This is a book that made me laugh out loud.

But it did have one major weakness: the book was too quick of a read. I bought it in the airport and read half of the book before I landed. If it weren’t because I got to Miami so late at night, I could have finished the book that same day

No comments: