Monday, April 30, 2007

Featured Artist of the Week: Christian Ramirez


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Christian Ramirez is a very talented young Dominican photographer who takes some of the best and most dramatic black and white pictures I’ve ever seen. It is impressive how he can find beauty, life and serenity in the darkest most intimidating places.

He currently resides in NJ but often travels the world, bringing back with him some wonderful pictures. I had the great opportunity to interview him, which I will be more than glad to share with you…


The Pompomist: How did you get into photography?
Christian Ramirez: I actually got into photography not that long ago. It must have been around 2002 or so. I've been working in the graphic arts industry since I was 18 years old so I've been around it for a while but I didn't start shooting my own until I went to work for a retouching firm in NYC. There I started working with very talented photographers so I got inspired to try to capture interesting moments, people and places. For my own photography I didn't really get into fashion like most of the clients I was dealing with at the time. I knew I had an eye for creating other types of images.

The Pompomist: What sort of equipment and software do you use?
Christian Ramirez: Well since I’m a child of the digital revolution and make my living in the digital photography world. I shoot with different digital cameras. I have access to a Canon Mark II but to tell you the truth I mostly shoot with a Canon G5 which is only a 5 Megapixel camera but it is plenty for what I need. If I make prints I usually make them small and with my Photoshop tricks I can get the most out of each shot.
To keep all my photos organized I've been using iPhoto but I’m currently making the move to Adobe Lightroom. Of course like I mentioned before I also use Photoshop to manipulate each image to give it the look and feel that I want. Now when I’m working on a photo shoot set I use Capture One by Phase One. There is also the Leaf Capture system which I also use.
With all that said I have to mention that even though digital photography is great and all it is still up to the standards of film. To shoot film I use a Rolleiflex and I must admit I have plenty to learn about different film types and what can be achieved by them.

The Pompomist: I know you also create custom computers, can you tell us a little bit about it?
Christian Ramirez: Well I’m a huge tech head and love taking things apart specially computers. So I recently decided to make my own line of custom built computers. The first one I'm making is a very rugged laptop to use when I’m working on photoshoots at a beach, cave or where ever the surroundings are less then ideal for the standard laptops. I have a few more ideas for systems I’m going to be putting together very soon.
My whole thing with that is I’m never satisfied with what comes out of the box, whether its hardware or software. In the past I've been able to manipulate software and make it do things the programmers did not think about. So I thought if I was able to customize software to make my life easier then why not do the same with hardware. Plus it’s a lot of geeked out fun!

The Pompomist: Where is your favorite location to take pictures? Nature? People?
Christian Ramirez: For my style of photography I have to say just walking around any city I’m able to find interesting places and people to capture. When I travel to different places I just go out for long walks and look for interesting subjects that catch my eye. I always tend to shoot at cemeteries and churches.

The Pompomist: Where is the most spectacular place you've ever been?
Christian Ramirez: Without a doubt I have to say Cape Town, South Africa. I was there in 2004 for about two weeks. I was so at home there and saw beauty everywhere I looked. I was there for work so I didn't have the time to really wonder around much but I can't wait to go back. It is truly an amazing place. I liked it so much that to this day I have the South African flag on my cell phone.
Another place that I must mention is El Cementerio De Recoleta in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It is a very popular tourist attraction, most there to see Evita's grave. There are beautiful statues everywhere, just beautiful works of art. Is there something wrong with me cause I spend hours on end there just taking photos?

The Pompomist: What are your favorite subjects to photograph?
Christian Ramirez: My favorite subject to photographs is statues. I really enjoy photographing a beautiful work of art. Like I said in El Cementerio De Recoleta you will find many.

The Pompomist: What first inspired your interest in photography? What continues to inspire you?
Christian Ramirez: What first inspired me was seeing a lot of interesting moments capture of film by the many talented photographers I was and still working with. I wanted to also try to capture moments of my own that gave the viewer a window of what goes on in my crazy head. As life continues and I hopefully travel to new places those things will inspire me to pick up a camera.

The Pompomist: Tell us about your photo shoot for America's Next Top Model (Season 5)?
Christian Ramirez: I was excited when Tyra Banks asked me if I would help her with a photo shoot she wanted to do with the girls. When I was asked I thought that while it would be a lot of fun I also wanted for the photos to be somewhat my style of photography. Tyra wanted the photos to be black and white beauty shots. Everyone was very happy with the frames I was able to capture and the panel of judges really liked the photos. It was the first time I showed my photos to a large audience and to hear all the positive feedback made me very happy.

The Pompomist: Name photographer(s) whose work you respect and admire and why.
Christian Ramirez: There are many photographers I admire. I enjoy all the different images photographers like Annie Leibovitz, Peter Lindbergh and Paolo Roversi just to name a few. There is so much talent in the photography world that it is hard to pick just one. I admire all the beautiful images they have brought us over the years.

The Pompomist: Tell us about your experience working for Pascal Dangin, founder of Box Studios/Boxwork?
Christian Ramirez: Working at Box/Boxwork is really a great experience. Working there is very inspiring because you're surrounded by a lot of talented people and I feed of from that. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from not only Pascal but from the rest of my co workers.

The Pompomist: What would you say to other enthusiast photographers out there who aspire to what you've achieved?
Christian Ramirez: Well like in anything else in life you have to work at it hard, learn new things as technology makes it available. Mix old school with the new and make a style of your own. I guess the most important thing is that your heart has to be in it and for the long haul.

The Pompomist: Thank you, Christian.

Here are just a few of his wonderful photos:




Some images from America's Next Top Model (Season 5) photoshoot:

free image hosting


free image hosting


free image hosting



free image hosting


free image hosting


free image hosting

Nicole (shown on bottom left photo), as Mr. Ramirez said: "... was the winner of season 5 and this picture was used to reveal to everyone that she had won the competition..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Where do you find all this interesting people, Jamie?

Anonymous said...

Love B/W pics!

Anonymous said...

yeah, the statue pics are my favs

Anonymous said...

Great Interview!
I think you covered a lot...!