Monday, June 25, 2007

Parental Worries

[Friday night. 9:55pm]

Me: “Hi Mom. How are you?”
Mom: “Hey sweetheart! What are you up to right now? You're about to go to sleep?”
Me: “Oh. I am on my way to meet some friends. We are gonna have dinner at a restaurant and…”
Mom: “OMG! Do you know what time it is?! Girl, you be careful out there driving so late! Are you wearing your seatbelt?!”
Me: “Um, yes, Mom. So like I was saying, we are going to meet at this very nice place in…”
Mom: “Don’t you know how dangerous it is to drive at this time!? So many drunk drivers on the street!”
Me: “Mom, it’s okay, really. Don't worry, I am taking precautions… plus, is not like I inform you every time I go out at night, I am used to this… remember? Anyway then we will walk together to…”
Mom: “People die in accidents!!! I see it on the tele everyday. I once met this woman at work who had an accident in the middle of the night. She got hit by a bus really bad… she almost died!”
Me: “I know mom. It’s okay… I’m being careful. No worries. Anyhow, there’s this very cool art exhibition we really want to see tonight and…”
Mom: “Can you believe it?! A bus hit her… a public bus that is. She was falling asleep while driving.”
Me: “… and today is the last day of the exhibition so we have to get there before it closes or else we will not have the opportunity to see it. Gigi really likes this kind of art, and since her wedding anniversary is coming soon, her husband is planning on…”
Mom: “… and the next day she had her daughter’s college graduation. But she couldn’t go because, due to the accident, she was rushed to the hospital and stayed there for days.”
Me: “...he’s planning on buying an art piece for her. So we will help him pick a good painting tonight. Isn’t that a great gift?”
Mom: “It was a horrible accident!!!”
Me: “I am not planning on going with them to the club though because tomorrow I have to wake up early for…”
Mom: “Do you have you lights on? and... and the doors locked?!”

No comments: