Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Featured Artist Of The Week: Olimpia Zagnoli

Italian born, Olimpia Zagnoli, is a talented young illustrator. Her work is a delicious mix of colors and vibrant expressions that are fun, charming and endearing. Her illustrations are truly amazing. Wanna get to know her a little bit better? Well, here’s an interview I had with her:

The Pompomist: Why are you an artist, Olimpia?
Olimpia Zagnoli: Maybe because at the beginning of the story I choose pencils rather than Barbies.

TP: Could you tell us some more about your paintings and illustrations?
Olimpia Zagnoli:
I think i can describe my works saying they're made of illustration and graphic design inspired by the 50/60s with an eye on music, design and food.

TP: What artists have influenced you, and how?
Olimpia Zagnoli:
My heroes are Picasso, Jim Flora, Saul Bass, Matisse, Bruno Munari and many more. I think they all deal with a sparkling and colorful interpretation of the "less is more" concept.

TP: What inspires you to paint/illustrate and how do you keep motivated when things get tough in the studio?
Olimpia Zagnoli:
I take inspiration from television, real life, food packaging, vintage advertising, Italian design, my sister, song lyrics and so on. And when the things are getting though, I always focus on myself as an eighty years old lady still working on her sketchbook in her dusty room. That's what I want to be.

TP: How have you handled the business side of being an artist? Olimpia Zagnoli: Usually my friend Livia does math for me, the bank makes the rest and then I have to face the hard work of spending all that money in shoes, books and candies.

TP: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Olimpia Zagnoli:
In 10 years I’d like to: live by my own, be a rock star, have a baby called "Arancia" (it means "Orange" in Italian) and of course be a famous (FAMOUS) illustrator.

TP: Which artists and which illustrations are your favorites, and why?
Olimpia Zagnoli:
I go crazy for illustrations with a lot of objects inside like Richard Scarry used to do and I love food illustrations made by unknown artists from the fifties and the sixties. You can find some example in "my favorites" page on Flickr. I also live for two/three-colored illustrations.

TP: What advice would you give to an artist just starting out?
Olimpia Zagnoli:

• Draw every fucking day.
• Get a visual culture.
• Be serious.
• Enjoy your snack time.



Hop on over to her web site: www.olimpiazagnoli.com and discover amazing characters and atmospheres… powerful and enchanting images that just oozes with magic.

3 comments:

Froggy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Froggy said...

I want her beautiful drawings on my walls!!!!! They are awesome. She should have been a Naranjo, then her daughter would be called Orange Orange Tree. HEHE.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love her graphics.