Thursday, May 31, 2007

I Left My Washing In The Launderette...

Sometimes, when I get lazy at doing the laundry, I take my washing to a laundry place. I usually go to the same place, and it’s great: it’s fairly cheap ($1.15 per pound); it’s convenient (close to home); they give it to you nicely packed, folded and with a wonderful smell.
So last Saturday morning, on my way to my typical cleaner of choice, I discovered another laundry place even closer to home with a sign that said ‘Laundry by the Pound’. I stopped by to find out.
There was one person behind the front desk: an old man… maybe in his 70’s.

Old man: "Hello and good morning, young lady! What can I do for you?" – He greets me nicely.
Me: "Good morning! I was passing by and saw the sign that said laundry by the pound. I have a few things I could drop but I would like to know how much you charge for this service?"
Old man: "Oh! I’m sorry. I don’t do laundry by the pound anymore…"
Me: "Oh, you don’t?"
Old man: "Nah. I have been the owner of this place for the past five years. I used to offer this service before since I didn’t have that many customers, but now that the business has grown prosperously, I only do night gowns and suits. I now charge by piece only."
Me: "I see… well, thank you. But I’ll go to another place."
Old man: "Uh, wait… how much clothing do you have? Is it more than 10 pounds?"
Me: "Well, a few… I don’t know the weight… why?"
Old man: "Because I could wash it for you…"
Me: "By the pound?"
Old man: "Yes
Me: "But you said no earlier…"
Old man: "Now I do offer the service…"
Me: "Okaay?... so how much is it per pound, now?"
Old man: "A dollar…
Me: "And for when would it be ready?" - (I’ll remind you… this is the Saturday of Memorial day weekend.)
Old man: "It’ll be ready for next Friday…"
Me: "Next Friday?! Why so long?"
Old man: "Well, today I don’t wash. Tomorrow is Sunday. Monday I have off. Tuesday/Wednesday I’ll be busy. So I only have Thursday to work on your washing."
Me: "Gee… alright, do you have a scale?"
Old man: "No."
Me: "So how are we going to know the cost of it?"
Old man: "Oh, I’m pretty good at guessing weight!" – He said all excited.
Me: "Really?" – I said disbelievingly.
Old man: "Really. I’ll tell you right now."

So the old man grabs the bag I brought and kinda jumped with it in hand… weird.

Old man:"Hmm... That is 25 pounds…. Easily!"
Me: "Rrreally?" – I said with even more disbelief.
Old man: "Oh, yes! Ma’am! Believe me... I've been in the business for over thirty years."
Me: "Uh. I’d rather go somewhere else. Thank you, sir."
Old man: "Oh. So you don’t believe me..."
Me: "I am sorry, sir. With all the respect, but this is not even close to that… it’s obvious."
Old man: "Okay, young lady… do what you want."
Me: "Thank you."

I then drove to my usual laundry place. The bag was weighed. You wanna know how many pounds that was? Fourteen (14) pounds of clothing…. Fourteen pounds! That’s a big difference.

Me: "So when will this be ready, ma’am?" – I asked the lady in the front desk.
Lady: "You can pick it up late this afternoon."
Me: "Just perfect! Thanks!"

Incredible the things I go through….

1 comment:

Froggy said...

Ha, ha, ha...I remember this story...it's funnier when you were saying it to us too. he he!!!